On Friday the 14th December 2012, ONUSS hosted The Environmental Awareness Day in collaboration with CEAC, BANUS and NUMSA at Chiromo. The event was aimed at sensitizing and involving the youth in Environmental conservation.
The event commenced at 9.00 am with introductory remarks from ONUSS SBS Rep - Mr. Nyakundi Felix. Then we had a quiz challenge during which students won themselves airtime and lunch outs. A wider variety of prizes could have been obtained; the limiting factor was cash which was released late.
After remarks by the SBS Director – Dr. Akunda, who also came to represent the Principal CBPS; we proceeded for tree planting exercise. 80 seedlings were planted at the ground next to the Meteorogical site. Refreshments were served at the planting site and members dispersed at their own pleasure. Organizers proceeded for lunch at SWA Cafeteria.
1. We managed to share with and sensitize 105 students on the Environment. The room was so full till some enjoyed the events from outside the door.
2. 80 seedlings were planted on that day. These will help purify air.
1. Funds for the event were released late when it had already underway, a situation that compelled us to take some items like seedlings on credit. On airtime, we had to source our own funds to use beforehand.
2. The facilitator; Mr. Odhiambo T. Oketch only called in too late that he had been held up at KICC in a meeting with IEBC. We thus had to proceed without him. His proposed token was used to purchase more airtime to award winners during the quiz challenge.
3. The venue was small and could not accommodate all the students. Next time we may need a more voluminous venue.